There are many reasons your company website should have a blog. A blog can help you build relationships with your current and potential customers, position you as a subject matter expert, and provide an easy outlet for sharing company news, events and information. But a blog can also boost search engine optimization (SEO) and drive traffic toward your site. It’s a win-win.
Here are five ways to use your blog to improve your SEO rankings and drive more traffic toward your company’s website.
1. Create original—and quality—content. Unique content can boost your website in search rankings. But the information found on your website probably doesn’t change that often. That’s why it’s important to write blog posts on a regular basis. That way, you’re always adding new and fresh content to attract readers.
2. Stop overusing keywords. The more keywords, the better, right? Not exactly. While keywords are important, search engines are now paying attention to the whole query instead of individual words. In 2013, Google introduced Hummingbird, an algorithm that judges the context and intent of the person doing the search, attempting to zero in on what they are trying to figure out. So, instead of focusing on 10–15 individual keywords in your blog post, try using long-tail keywords and phrases that people would typically use when searching for something relevant to your site.
3. Make it mobile-friendly. According to Google, more than half of all online searches are done on mobile devices. Google introduced an algorithm to review websites’ readability on mobile devices, ranking them accordingly in search results. The mobile-friendly algorithm considers factors like responsive design and readability. Make sure that the layout of your blog is optimized for mobile use, and test pages to ensure they work on mobile devices.
4. Be friendly. With links, that is. If you reference another blogger or an article in your blog post, include a link to their site. It’s good etiquette, for one, but you may even get a link back that can help you improve your own SEO results.
5. Share on social. Your company needs a social media presence, even if you don’t have a blog. Social media allows even more people to see your content. Social media even performs like a search engine; in today’s connected world, people turn to social platforms to find answers to their questions. Share your blog posts—and other helpful information—on social platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn. Even putting content on social media platforms like Instagram and Snapchat can be beneficial.